Thursday 12 April 2012

Over You

“I'm slowly getting closure
I guess it's really over
I'm finally gettin' better
Now I'm picking up the pieces
From spending all of these years
Putting my heart back together
‘Cause the day I thought I'd never get through
I got over you”

Over You – Daughtry

If someone sat me down and said “Renee, what’s your favourite song?” I would probably just laugh in their face and say “come on, you want me to pick just one? Don’t be silly.” But if push came to shove, I would list of the following songs as my six favourite: Wonderwall by Oasis, Somewhere Only We Know by Keane, Whispers in the Dark by Skillet, Top of the World by The Carpenters, Perfect by Simple Plan and Over You by Daughtry. I aim to write a blog on all these songs in the coming months, but I want to kick things off with Over You.

A few years ago, when I was still a teenager and still at school, my hormones took charge and I developed a bit of a crush on a fellow student. To cut a long story short, things never went anywhere. Nowadays, I can look back at my pettiness and laugh, but at the time I was devastated some stupid guy didn’t want to be more than friends with me.

A few days before my tender teenage heart got hurt, a few guys in my class wanted to borrow my USB stick to transfer documents between computers. In return for the use of my USB, they “gave me some songs they thought I might like”, one of them being Over You. A few days later, Over You came in handy when my crush called us a no-go. Sure, Daughtry meant this song to be about more serious relationships than some silly high school back yard failed romance, but at that moment I felt the song described every feeling I had.

I am grateful to those classmates who introduced me to Over You that day. With literally millions of songs in the world you would understand it would take a song with a special meaning to make my list of favourite songs, and Over You has that special meaning. It’s my go to song when I need help overcoming obstacles and disappointments, when my heart and soul were sore and tender, when I felt lost and I couldn’t go forward. It gave me the feeling no one was struggling alone. It’s people like Chris Daughtry and band we should thank, because they share their problems and create music which helps other people move forward through problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment