Thursday 11 October 2012

Whispers in the Dark


“No
You'll never be alone
When darkness comes you know I'm never far
Hear the whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark

You feel so lonely and ragged
You lay here broken and naked
My love is
Just waiting
To clothe you in crimson roses”

Whispers in the Dark - Skillet 

This one time (a very long time ago) I was trolling through people’s Bebo accounts like a normal fourteen year old did back in the mind 2000’s. If you were lucky enough to have a Bebo account, you’ll remember being able to make a huge list of all your favourite music artists. Much like I scroll through Twitter these days, I used to look through people’s Bebo lists to find new bands. And that is how I came across Skillet.

I listened to Whispers in the Dark first and I didn’t hear much more than a generic rock song, one which I already had in my music library. Then, a few weeks later when I was in some hormonal fourteen year old bad mood I came back across the same song. And that’s when I really listened to the song. I listened and searched up the lyrics and realised what Skillet were doing. Whispers in the Dark is a song which has a dark and moody tone, but the lyrics shine with positivity. It was something new to me and I thought it was amazing.

Skillet soon became my favourite band and it’s because they just get it. They get silly teenage issues which seem so big to a young fourteen year old and they get the big picture that life isn’t always that easy growing up. They get people want a song which has positive themes but they don’t want it sugar coated from pop artists all the time. Skillet’s songs, from The Last Night to Awake and Alive feel much more realistic than a pretty girl singing about loving life to a back up track.

I believe Skillet’s positivity comes from a hybrid of being both a rock band and from a Christian background. I’m not personally a practising Christian or involved with any other religion, but I love the messages Christianity in particular can teach us and I think this world can benefit from the positivity of these messages. And occasionally I enjoy the songs from worship bands like Hillsong United, but I like Skillet because their messages aren’t thrown at me. It’s like they are there if you want it and want to take it on board, much like all advice we are given should be. Skillet makes you feel like someone else gets how you feel and is there to accompany you. I remember seeing Skillet live about a year and a half ago and the crowd were wild in unison as Skillet told us their message and shared with us they got how we felt. And these feelings music give you is, my blog readers, the reason I write this on here every week and share it with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment